By Richard Whatmore, Brian Young
A spouse to highbrow History presents an in-depth survey of the perform of highbrow heritage as a self-discipline. 40 newly-commissioned chapters show off prime international examine with extensive insurance of each point of highbrow historical past because it is presently practiced.
- Presents an in-depth survey of modern examine and perform of highbrow history
- Written in a transparent and obtainable demeanour, designed for a world audience
- Surveys some of the methodologies that experience arisen and the most historiographical debates that crisis highbrow historians
- Pays specific consciousness to modern controversies, supplying readers with the most up-tp-date review of the field
- Demonstrates the ways that highbrow historians have contributed to the background of technology and drugs, literary stories, artwork background and the background of political thought
Named Outstanding educational identify of 2016 by way of Choice Magazine, a ebook of the yankee Library organization
Read Online or Download A companion to intellectual history PDF
Best historical study & educational resources books
The Druzes are one of many smallest, least studied, and so much esoteric spiritual groups within the heart East. it's because the Druze teachings stay inaccessible not just to outsiders but in addition to uninitiated participants in the Druze neighborhood itself. additionally, proselytizing-inducing a person to transform to one's personal spiritual faith-has been prohibited because the institution of the sect within the eleventh century.
Because the past due 1700s new varieties of visible leisure have attempted to simulate the main points of nature: reenactment has now develop into the main widely-consumed kind of well known background. This e-book engages with the hunt for definition and acceptable delimitation of reenactment in addition to questions about the connection among realism and impact.
This ebook is a venture in comparative background, yet alongside particular axes, one ancient and the opposite historiographical. Its function is to constructively juxtapose the early smooth ecu and chinese language techniques to historic examine which have been known as "antiquarian. " As an workout in old restoration, the essays during this quantity amass new information regarding the variety of antiquarian-type scholarship at the earlier, on nature, and on peoples undertaken at both finish of the Eurasian landmass among 1500 and 1800.
British wisdom approximately China replaced essentially within the eighteenth and 19th centuries. instead of treating those alterations in British figuring out as though Anglo-Sino relations have been merely bilateral, this examine appears at how British imperial networks in India and Southeast Asia have been serious mediators within the British come across of China.
- Historical Dictionary of the Old South
- Hitler Reden und Proklamationen 1932 - 1945 vol 4
- Memory in Play: From Aeschylus to Sam Shepard
- An Oral History of the Portuguese Colonial War: Conscripted Generation
- The Portuguese in the East: A Cultural History of a Maritime Trading Empire (International Library of Colonial History)
- Cold War Ecology: Forests, Farms, and People in the East German Landscape, 1945-1989 (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
Additional resources for A companion to intellectual history
Put otherwise, this is that activity of re‐description which we constantly carry on in our own ‘vague, rich intimate words,’ but in this case it is informed by a cultivated familiarity with the author or period in question. This is clearest when we consider how much is condensed into judgements about what is characteristic (or uncharacteristic), of a person, a literary or artistic style, a body of thought, a milieu or period. From one perspective, this is the positive obverse of anachronism, the ability to recognise what does and does not belong to a particular time.
As the outstanding recent work of Pocock on the various contexts in which to make historical sense of Edward Gibbon’s History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire magisterially demonstrates, the understanding of the work of one’s predecessors as historians makes unparalleled demands of its successful expositors (Pocock, 1999–2015). It is more than even usually the case that one needs to know at least as much what earlier scholars did not and could not know, as what they did and could know, if one is make sense of their historical writings.
1946, The Idea of History. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 18 stefan collini Collini, Stefan. 1999, English Pasts: Essays in History and Culture. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Collini, Stefan. 2000, ‘General Introduction,’ in Collini, Richard Whatmore, Brian Young, (eds), History, Religion, and Culture: British Intellectual History 1750–1950. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Collini, Stefan. 2001, ‘Disciplines, canons and publics: the history of “the history of political thought” in comparative perspective,’ in Dario Castiglione and Iain Hampsher‐Monk, (eds), The History of Political Thought in National Perspective.